Our Firm Exclusively Practices Immigration Law

U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Services

Some U.S. permanent residents would like to become U.S. citizens; some people are U.S. citizens already and do not know it. We assist clients in both situations.  See below for more information on naturalization and citizenship.

What Is Naturalization

U.S. permanent residents (LPRs) (i.e. those who have a “green card”) may apply to become U.S. citizens. If the LPR has been married to a U.S. citizen for three years, then, after receiving LPR status, they can apply for citizenship. Otherwise, the LPR must usually wait five years (with certain exceptions). Most applicants can apply 90 days before their LPR status’s third or fifth anniversary.


To be granted citizenship, LPRs must demonstrate “good moral character” and have lived in the United States for 30 months after obtaining LPR status (or 18 months if a spouse is applying for citizenship). Additionally, applicants generally need to take tests showing reading, writing and speaking skills at a 4th grade level. They will also have to demonstrate knowledge of U.S. history and civics.

Arrests or criminal convictions can also impact one’s immigration status. See our criminal immigration advice section for more information.

Citizenship Through Parents Or Grandparents

Citizenship At Birth For Children Born Outside The U.S. And Its Territories

A child born outside the U.S. may be a U.S. citizen at birth if one parent or both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of his/her birth and other requirements are met.

Automatic U.S. Citizenship After Birth

A child born abroad may also acquire U.S. citizenship after birth if one of his or her parents becomes a U.S. citizen before his or her 18th birthday.

Citizenship Through Military Service

Certain members of the military and their dependents who wish to become United States citizens can apply for naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Reach Out For Assistance

Our lawyer handles naturalization (i.e. those who have a green card), and citizenship for clients in Seattle, the Pacific Northwest and throughout the world. Our attorney and staff are here to assist you with the process. Contact us online or by calling 206-512-3597. Se Habla Español.

Our firm specializes in employment (immigrant and non-immigrant) and family-based immigration visas. We also assist our clients with naturalization and citizenship issues.