PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to COVID-19 virus, we are not currently doing in-office meetings. However, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Toll Free: (866) 722-4030

Local: (206) 452-4883
Se Habla Español
Soreff Weinrich Law - Seattle Immigration Lawyers

We represent both individuals and corporations and have extensive experience in all aspects of immigration law.

schedule consultation current clients Español

US Citizenship and Naturalization

Some U.S. permanent residents would like to become U.S. citizens and some people are U.S. citizens already and do not know it. We assist clients in both situations. Click below for more information on naturalization and citizenship.

  • Naturalization
    • U.S. permanent residents (LPRs) (i.e. those who have a “green card”) may apply to become U.S. citizens. If the LPR has been married to a U.S. citizen for three years, then he or she can apply three years after obtaining LPR status. Otherwise, the LPR must usually wait (there are exceptions) to apply until five years after obtaining LPR status. (Most applicants can apply ninety days before their three or five year anniversary.)


      To be granted citizenship LPRs must show they have “good moral character” and have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 2 1/2 years since obtaining LPR status (or 1 1/2 years if applying as the spouse of a U.S. citizen). Additionally, most applicants for citizenship will have to pass tests demonstrating an ability to read, write, and speak at least 4th grade-level English and demonstrate a basic understanding of U.S. history and civics.

      If the individual has been in contact with the police, whether in or outside of the U.S., he or she should seek advice before applying for naturalization. Criminal convictions, traffic citations, and/or arrests for criminal activity can have severe and negative consequences on an individual’s immigration status. Accordingly, sometimes a person may apply to become a U.S. citizen only to find out that immigration wants to deport them from the U.S. because of some past criminal conduct. See our criminal issues section for more information.

  • Citizenship through Parents/Grandparents
    • Citizenship at Birth for Children Born Outside the U.S. and its Territories

      A child born outside the U.S. may be a U.S. citizen at birth if one parent or both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of his/her birth and other requirements are met.

      Automatic U.S. Citizenship after Birth

      A child born abroad may also acquire U.S. citizenship after birth if one of his or her parents becomes a U.S. citizen before his or her 18th birthday.

  • Citizenship through Military Service
  • The U.S. citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS) will expedite the process of naturalization for certain lawful permanent residents who are currently serving in the U.S. armed forced or who were recently discharged. The individual must still be eligible for naturalization.

Contact Form

Call Today: (206) 452-4883

American Immigration Lawyers Association

This Attorney is Lead Counsel Rated. Click here for more Information.

Review Us

Site Map

Contact Us

Soreff Weinrich Law

705 2nd Ave, Suite 1601
Seattle, WA 98104

Toll Free: (866) 722-4030
Local: (206) 452-4883
Fax: (206) 382-7074

Se Habla Español

Location Map